I waited a couple weeks later than some to start the weekly (and eventually more frequent) bracketology updates.
Halfway through this one, I realized I probably should have waited longer, especially with a 68-team field.
So consider this a dry run of sorts as the resumes of respective teams get committed to memory in the weeks to come. This isn't perfect analysis (though observing the Big East is going to create its share of bracketing headaches seems to be rather spot-on at the moment), but it is a building block for more accurate assessments in the future.
In short, this probably isn't the best take available right now, but it ensures a far better chance of achieving that level in another eight weeks.
Onto the breakdown:
(1) BIG 12/Kansas vs. (16) NEC/Long Island-SWAC/Texas Southern
(8) UNLV vs. (9) ATLANTIC 10/Xavier
(4) Georgetown vs. (13) IVY/Harvard
(5) Michigan State vs. (12) Florida State/Old Dominion
(3) SEC/Kentucky vs. (14) ATLANTIC SUN/Belmont
(6) Texas vs. (11) Gonzaga
(2) Villanova vs. (15) MAAC/Iona
(7) Illinois vs. (10) Miami
(1) BIG TEN/Ohio State vs. (16) SOUTHLAND/McNeese State-MEAC/Bethune-Cookman
(8) Georgia vs. (9) Butler
(4) Notre Dame vs. (13) SUMMIT/Oakland
(5) PAC-10/Washington vs. (12) CONFERENCE USA/Southern Mississippi
(3) Brigham Young vs. (14) PATRIOT/Bucknell
(6) Missouri vs. (11) Cincinnati
(2) Connecticut vs. (15) BIG WEST/Long Beach State
(7) North Carolina vs. (10) WAC/Utah State
(1) BIG EAST/Syracuse vs. (16) BIG SKY/Northern Colorado
(8) Arizona vs. (9) Central Florida
(4) Minnesota vs. (13) HORIZON/Valparaiso
(5) Tennessee vs. (12) Marquette/Colorado
(3) West Virginia vs. (14) AMERICA EAST/Vermont
(6) Wisconsin vs. (11) Boston College
(2) MOUNTAIN WEST/San Diego State vs. (15) MAC/Ball State
(7) Temple vs. (10) Oklahoma State
(1) ACC/Duke vs. (16) OHIO VALLEY/Austin Peay
(8) Vanderbilt vs. (9) Louisville
(4) Purdue vs. (13) SOUTHERN/College of Charleston
(5) St. John's vs. (12) COLONIAL/James Madison
(3) Texas A&M vs. (14) BIG SOUTH/Coastal Carolina
(6) Florida vs. (11) Washington State
(2) Pittsburgh vs. (15) SUN BELT/Florida Atlantic
(7) WEST COAST/Saint Mary's vs. (10) MISSOURI VALLEY/Missouri State
Among the near-misses: Kansas State, Wichita State, UCLA and Cleveland State.